Rhinoplasty aims at correcting a bump on the nose, its tip, a deviation or the nasal pyramid as a whole.
- In some cases, the procedure can be combined with a chin surgery (genioplasty) in order to enhance the profile as a whole profile-plasty.
- When the nasal pyramid lacks projection, the procedure performed is called an ethnic rhinoplasty. It consists in an augmentation surgery aiming at creating a new nose bridge and it is often combined with a reduction of the sides of the nostrils.
- If the patients have respiratory difficulties, a septoplasty can be carried out along with the rhinoplasty. A scanner will be carried out before the surgery in order to evaluate precisely the nasal septal deviation.
Hyaluronic acid injections can be considered in case of a small bump or a light asymmetry in order to correct the nose during an aesthetic medicine session. There is no bruising and no hospitalization is needed.
In case of ethnic rhinoplasty, a clear improvement of the shape of the nose bridge can be obtained with these “5 minutes nose jobs” techniques.
Before the nose surgery
Please allow yourself an unavailability period of 10 days: a splint is placed and shall be kept on during this period.
Photographs will be taken in order to analyze the expected changes before the procedure and to obtain the desired result.
Before every rhinoplasty, Doctor Rajao performs a 3D simulation with the image system Vectra 3D. This simulation in all planes of motion helps in understanding the expectations of the patient and in obtaining the desired result.
The surgery is performed under general anesthesia and lasts between 1 and 4 hours.
- If the rhinoplasty is carried out to treat the tip of the nose, the bones are not treated and the compression garment after the surgery will be light. There is no bruising.
- For a bump rhinoplasty, osteotomies will be performed and a cast splint will be placed at the end of the surgery.
- If an ethnic rhinoplasty or a secondary rhinoplasty is performed, grafts may be required. They will be collected on the septal cartilage of the nose or, if it is not present in sufficient quantity, on the ears (the scar will be the same as for a prominent ears surgery). In case of bone graft, a piece of rib may be collected if necessary.
After the procedure
The patient arrives in the morning and returns home in the evening or on the next morning.
If nasal packing is left in place, they will be removed on the day following the surgery.
Most of the time, stitches are dissolvable.
Edema appears in the nose area and usually disappears in a month. Bruising may appear in case of osteotomy, especially in the eye area (glasses shape bruising) It disappears after about 10 days. A homeopathic preparation with arnica can be prescribed to you before the surgery in order to limit bruising.
It should be pointed out that the nose will change in a subtle manner after the surgery and the final result will be attained after about 1 year. However, the main changes will be visible once the cast is removed.