Lips augmentation is frequently asked for when the lips appear too thin or if the lips atrophied due to aging.
This volumetric treatment of the lips can be performed in 2 different ways:
– Hyaluronic acid injections can be carried out in the office. For your comfort, the volumizing treatment will be carried out under local anesthesia. An anesthetic cream will be applied before the appointment and a local anesthesia will be given just before the injections so that the patient does not feel any pain. The surgeon uses a cross-linked acid, which offers a satisfying and long-lasting volume. The cannulas used designed to prevent bruising.
It is particularly important to highlight the following two points:
- First of all, edema, usually a minimal swelling, may appear as a natural reaction to the injections one day after the injections. It usually disappears 48 hours after the treatment and the final results are then seen.
- On the other hand, the lips are a highly vascularized area, and the natural resorption of hyaluronic acid may be quicker than in the other facial areas. It may take between 6 months and 1 year to fully appreciate the results. New injections can be performed after that period.
– A lipofilling may be performed in an operating room in order to increase the volume of the lips.. The procedure is done in an operating room because it is necessary to use harvested fat cells that can be can be grafted on to others areas of the face, such as the cheekbones, the chin, etc… A lipofililng is usually is performed as a day-care surgery
- Lips can remain swollen for 15 days after the treatment. Patients will need to reduce their social activities during this period.
- However, this technique has one great advantage. Unlike hyaluronic acid injections, lipofilling offers a stable volume augmentation since the injected fat cells will react as a fatty graft in the lips. No injection will be necessary in order to maintain the result.