Silhouette surgery includes every treatment that is planned to improve the body, its volume and its appearance.
Silhouette surgical procedures do not attempt to create an « ideal beauty bombshell, » because ideal bodies do not exist. However, some solutions can be considered to balance the silhouette and the appearance of the body.
In the last few years, silhouette surgery has been revolutionized by the use of lipofilling to reshape the body contours and improvements in the design of implants.
In body contouring surgery, lipofilling is particularly beneficial to decrease the volume in areas where there is excess fat and increase the volume in the areas where it is lacking and thus optimally harmonize the silhouette.
In any areas with localized excess fat, when the skin is good quality, toned, and elastic enough to redrape correctly the areas treated, liposuction is the solution for body contouring.
When the skin is not elastic enough, a procedure to remove the excess skin is necessary
Different types of surgery can be considered:
- For the abdomen: liposuction or abdominoplasty to remove excess skin. An abdominoplasty is necessary when the skin has been stretched a lot after pregnancy or significant variations in weight and when there are stretch marks. After drastic weight loss, there may be excess skin around the entire body and a Body lift is therefore necessary to treat the entire abdominal area and perform full-body contouring.
- For the arms: liposuction or arm lift to harmoniously reshape the entire length of the arm and remove any sagging skin.
- For the thighs: liposuction for a localized excess, on the inside or outside (saddlebags) of the thighs or knees or a thigh lift to remove any excess skin.
- For the calves: calf implants to reshape calves that are too thin or liposuction to reshape the leg and slim down the ankle.
- For the buttocks: currently rapidly growing, aesthetic reshaping of the silhouette offers several alternatives to optimize the gluteal area. The treatment can consist in a buttock lift or reshaping the buttocks by increasing their volume with lipofilling or gluteal implants. Very minor augmentations are also possible with hyaluronic acid injections in the buttocks.
- For other areas: depending on the area to be treated liposuction, lipofilling or custom implants are possible.
Lower Body Lift
A lower body lift treats excess skin around the entire abdomen.
It, therefore, treats the abdomen, the pubis and lifts the outside of the thighs and the buttocks.
In reality, a lower body lift combines an abdominoplasty for the anterior side of the body and a buttock lift on the posterior side.
An abdominoplasty treats and tightens excess ventral skin.
It is generally after a pregnancy or considerable weight loss that an abdominoplasty is necessary.
For an optimal result, liposuction is often carried out at the same time.
A thigh lift (or cruroplasty) tightens the skin on the internal side of the thighs and removes any excess fat when liposuction alone is not enough.
This occurs when the volume of the thighs has decreased significantly, after a diet or bariatric surgery for instance, and the skin has been stretched or when the skin loses elasticity due to age.
Inner Arm Lift
The skin on the inner side of the arms is under a lot of strain and loses tone with age and potentially repeated changes in weight.
Significant weight loss after bariatric surgery (sleeve, gastric band, or ByPass) or a diet often results in the distension of the skin on the inner side of the arm.
Liposuction consists in sucking out localized areas of excess fat to reharmonize the silhouette.
3 conditions must be met to obtain the best possible result: a weight close to your ideal weight, good quality elastic skin, with no stretch marks, localized excess fat.
If need be, the fat aspirated is centrifuged and purified to be reinjected in the areas where there is a lack of volume (buttocks, neckline, cheekbones…).
Lipofilling is therefore adapted to restore the volumes and harmony of the silhouette.
It is a genuine autologous fat tissue graft, and so there is no risk of rejection or reaction to a foreign body.
Buttock enhancement is not only for Brazilians. Demand for this surgery is growing.
It may involve reducing the size of the buttocks or lifting them, but requests are often to increase the volume.
A calf augmentation using an implant is possible, on just one side or both to harmonize the leg. This procedure is most suitable in the case of calf hypotrophy.
Indeed, in this area, the risk of significant thromboembolic complications is too high with calf lipofilling and the result may be disappointing due to poor graft take of the fat reinjected in this area.
Cryolipolysis is a non-surgical method to definitively remove unsightly fatty tissue.
This method was discovered several years ago when researchers noticed the correlation between the dimples (dips in the skin) on the cheeks of children and the areas of their cheeks in contact with ice lollies.
Following this discovery, several years of research were necessary for researchers at Harvard to develop the Cryolipolysis patent currently used by the Coolsculpting devices.