Blepharoplasty is the surgery aiming at treating the eyelid area. It usually consists of correcting the tired look of the glance by giving it a more relaxed appearance.
The corrections can treat the following:
- Drooping heavy upper eyelids with a skin excess
- Under-eye bags in the lower eyelids area
- Falling eyebrows which give a sad look
- Wrinkles in the eye area, horizontal under the eye or external -crow’s feet.
- Hollow under-eye
These corrections are suited to men and women and are usually performed on those who are 40 or older. Crow’s feet and under-eye lines may be treated with aesthetic medicine whereby no surgery is needed (botulinum toxin and hyaluronic acid).
Before the procedure
Please allow yourself an unavailability period of 1 to 8 days after surgery. An ophthalmologic evaluation will be prescribed, and in case of dry eye syndrome, patients will need to use artificial tears.
A homeopathic preparation with arnica (5CH) can be taken 3 to 4 days before the surgery in order to limit bruising.
The surgery is usually done in the day care department and lasts from 1 to 2 hours. A local anesthesia may be sufficient, but a mild sedatve may be used as a complement.
- Upper eyelids : the scars are situated in the eyelid’s midway point and they are very discreet. If an internal hernia -fatty pocket in the inner eye corner- is identified, it will be treated at the same time.
- Lower eyelids: in case of isolated pockets, the scar is situated inside the eye and it is completely invisible. If the pockets have a large size, they may be associated with hollow under-eyes and a lipofilling may be carried out in order to avoid a hollow effect after the blepharoplasty. In case of major skin excess, a scar will be located under the eyelashes. It heals quickly and does not leave any visible mark.
After the procedure
There is no real pain, but possibly a feeling of pressure in the eyelids.
- Please ask someone to help take you home.
- Patients will wear smoke-tinted glasses which will help the eyes to rest.
- Physiological serum single doses can be placed in the fridge and used to refresh the eyes and help reduce the edema more quickly.
- Visual fatigue, TV, reading, should be avoided for a week.
Slight bruising may appear after the treatment, it will disappear in about 8 days.
If stitches are required, they will be removed on the 4th day after surgery.
Patients can use make up one week after the treatment.